Monday, July 15, 2013

Flash fiction post #2

Since I've been getting some positive feedback, including some love from my man Jimmy Pudge, I have decided to post another little piece of flash fiction. This is cheating a little, I suppose, since it is actually a fragment of a longer piece of fiction called Unlonely. Unlonely is, in essence, a collection of several small snippets like this. This one just happens to be my favorite. Hope you enjoy it.

                                                                         *   *   *



She’s lying on her back, one arm crooked so that her head rests on the delicate forearm.  Long golden hair fanned out around her head like the mark of divinity in Victorian paintings. Tiny ants, hundreds of them, crawl on her face. Piss-ants, my grandmother called them, although I’m sure they have a proper name.
            The ants form a long column from Angela’s pale face to a window across the room. When I woke to find them yesterday, I crushed dozens of them with an ashtray, brushed them away from her face. But watching them now, I see that I was wrong to interfere. They have their jobs, their place in the world, just as I do. I admire them, the way they go about their business with such detached, emotionless efficiency. Try as I might, I’ve never been able to detach, to transcend emotion, and this is what holds me back from greatness.
            There’s a smell in the air, not really unpleasant, but there all the same. The coppery scent of blood, jasmine from Angela’s perfume, the first sickly-sweet hint of rot, and beneath it all something indefinable but utterly feminine. A fly lands in the corner of her left eye and pauses, perhaps drinking what moisture remains. Outside, a door slams and I leap to my feet, clutching the knife. Heavy footsteps approaching, I freeze, hold my breath, wait. The footsteps come closer, pass Angela’s door, a car door slams shut and an engine roars to life. All the breath comes out of me in a whoosh and I calm down. Just another resident of the apartments, going on with their life, unaware of the small drama taking place in number 9.
            It’s nearly dark and I know I should be going, make my escape and leave this mess for someone else to clean up, like all the others. Three days is too long, I’ve overstayed my welcome. But just like always, the damned emotions get in the way. I light a cigarette and settle back onto the floor beside her.
            It’s so hard to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment